It goes without saying that a person called to Christ must have an understanding of the word of God. This must by needs be a balanced understanding of scripture. In 1 Timothy, Paul sets forth the qualifications for ministry. “A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach; not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, but gentle, not quarrelsome, not covetous; one who rules his own house well, having his children in submission with all reverence (for if a man does not know how to rule his own house, how will he be able to take care of the church of God?); not a novice, lest being puffed up with pride he fall into the same condemnation as the devil. Moreover he must have a good testimony among those outside, lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.” (I Timothy 3:2-7)
These qualifications are obvious as a “must have’s” for people who minister to others. There are in our estimation some other “must haves” as well. These include…
- The support of their family and friends to be able to deal with the rigors of serving people.
- An understanding of the difference between their personal relationship with God and their public relationship with God as a member of the serving professions to other Christians.
- People in the single role of friend and advisor, not in a dual relationship where the person is a friend but also a member of the congregation where they serve.
- An understanding of and connection to the viewpoint of their immediate family members on their service to God and people.
- An accurate view of themselves and the way their servant hood is perceived by the people that are exposed to their work and service.
- The ability to recognize that they too are also “His people and the Sheep of His pasture”, and in doing so realize that they have a personal responsibility to provide for their self-care and the care of their family to fulfill their purpose in life.
- When situations arise where they are firmly in a dilemma, they need to be able to connect for guidance, coaching and counsel.
We have put together a program where we will be assisting Pastors with their growth and practice in their ministry, by way of a monthly subscription program offering specialized services. Please take a moment watch a video we have created where Jeff Golden provides some information about "Pastor to Pastor," this new program YMCS is offering.
The need for this type of service is easily recognized when a person is in a crisis situation, and as the saying goes hindsight is 20/20.
The subscription cost of $99.00 per month is very reasonable. In life with all the stress and financial commitments we all have, finding money can be a challenge for all of us. However, I ask you to consider this; having a critical situation is not an if, it’s a when. Both Jeff Golden and myself deal with this scenario in lives of people on a consistent basis. The cost of coaching can run into the hundreds of dollars an hour. Few pastors are trained, equipped or supported in handling many of the situations that life brings your way. Too many times over the years I have heard people, including pastors say, “If I had only understood what was happening, or I never had to deal with this before, or I never expected to deal with this in my own family or with a family in church!”
These scriptures about planning are applicable in this situation.
- “Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed.” Proverbs 15:22
- “Careful planning puts you ahead in the long run; hurry and scurry puts you further behind.” Proverbs 21:5.
In light of this, is $99.00 a month all that expensive to help plan or prepare to handle issues in life in a way that causes a person to soar and get through things in life? Not really. The old adage says an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. We believe the Holy Spirit has placed this project on our hearts to serve pastors in a greater and more formal way. Yes it’s true that Pastors have big shoulders, but sometimes they need an Aaron and Herr to hold up those arms and shoulders. We would find it a privilege if you would let us do that, Jeff is such an excellent resource and I believe that he can bring immeasurable help to the people we minister to at YMCS. This is why we have asked him to join us. When you look at the benefit of having a licensed professional counselor, Pastor, Coach, experienced business owner at your service when needed, $99.00 really isn’t that much to spend in prevention.
This annual subscription for Pastor to Pastor with access for 3 hours monthly for whatever pastoral needs or concerns the pastoral leader wishes to discuss. The annual subscription for the Pastor to Pastor program is $99 per month.*
Scheduling of 1-3 hour sessions monthly can be made through email or an online scheduling service.
Click here to register for your annual subscription to Pastor to Pastor.
* The Pastor to Pastor annual subscription may be cancelled with 30-days notice.